Thank you to all of our clients who've taken time to send us their comments or post them on various social media sites. We are grateful that you've trusted us with caring for your pets and appreciate the time you took to write down your experiences. We always appreciate and are open to all feedback.
Written Comments we've received
"We started going to Burke Animal Clinic when our vet of 30+ years thought it was funny that our 6 year old rescue German Shepherd had torn his AC, and we'd have to spend $2300 for surgery. Not to mention the many weeks of post surgery pain, crating and rehab for our poor limping dog. When I asked if there were any alternatives to surgery I was promptly told "no".
I started researching this issue myself and found out there are alternatives to surgery and, in fact, I was lucky enough to come across Dr. Herrity at the Burke Animal Clinic. Dr. Herrity uses various new technolgoies to assist in the healing process of certain injuries. Dr. Herrity has gone the extra thousand miles in companion pet care. He is constantly educating himself on healthier and more efficient ways to help heal our pets and keep them healthy.
But the great news doesn't stop there! All the doctors, vet techs and staff at Burke Animal Clinic are exceptional. The atmosphere in the lobby is calm and friendly. Our dogs actually enjoy going to the vet!
Needless to say, Harry, our German Shepherd, avoided surgery as he received treatments on a regular basis from Dr. Herrity. We followed his instructions for home care carefully and at the one year mark Harry was running and playing around like a puppy. During the process of treatments, Harry learned to trust his doctor not fear him.
We stopped going to our long-term vet now and are now clients at Burke Animal Clinic where our 2 German Shepherds are happy to visit their favorite doctor!""Harry" and "Emma Prancer" - Comments from "Mom" and "Dad"
"I defy the most discerning critic to say a negative word about Dr. Colvin. I rarely complicate a fiercely bold statement with maudlin sincerity, but in this case it is comme il faut: I honestly believe Dr. Colvin is the most empathetic and talented person I have a professional relationship with. Switching to bullets so I can exact my point without further emoting:
- Dr. Colvin, the Vet Tech's and office staff at The Burke Animal Clinic are both concerned with animal healthcare and pet owner's emotional welfare.
- Upon arrival, I am greeted warmly and my pet is called by name. That means a lot to me; they care enough to record my cat's name, not just the person paying.
- I've had to reschedule every other appointment I've ever made due to the fact that when my Wonder-Cat hears the cage being prepared she goes on the lamb. The office staff understands that is the cat's nature and happily accommodates me.
- When my Wonder-Cat is due for a shot or check-up I receive a reminder email.
- They emotionally bond with their (human and animal) clients; their humanity is priceless yet their prices are reasonable.
- Dr. Colvin treats me as kindly as my friends do. He is happy to see me and my Wonder-Cat; he is engaging, honest, never rushes me off the phone or out of his exam room.
- His every comment, gesture and even the inflection of his voice is gentle-natured.
- Dr. Colvin is clearly an animal lover because he talks as sweetly to my Wonder-Cat as I do.
- His veterinary expertise has improved my cat's overall health. The Wonder-Cat has had some health challenges and Dr. Colvin explained every avenue to remedy her condition. He provides information that I wouldn't know to ask. He takes the time to tell me about the 10% chance of a negative side effect a medication may have long term and does so without worrying me.
- I volley dozens of (sometimes inane) questions at him and he answers each one without a modicum of frustration; he allows me to believe I am the first to ask him a silly question.
- When there is bad news he delivers it with respect and decorum and then invites discussion.
- He won't allow animals to suffer; he kept my Mom's elderly cats as comfortable as he could and then spoke up when he felt they no longer had quality of life. He euthanized my Mother's cats with reverence for both the animals and my Mother. He kindly told us what to expect and asked us how we were comfortable proceeding. He left my Mom alone with her cat for as long as she needed before and after.
- He ALWAYS calls with tests results when he says he will. And he returns every call you place to him. (I wish he could be my primary physician.)"
"Burke Animal Clinic is our veterinary clinic, and has been for the last 30 years, attending to every health need of successive pets - three dogs and one cat. Throughout these years, we have received excellent care for all 4 "clients". But the Clinic has outdone expectations for our current pet - an almost 13 year old Welch Pembroke Corgi - diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy - an incurable, progressive disease of the canine spine which eventually shuts down the lungs and ends in death.
Our Corgi receives physical manipulation treatment twice a week with Eva and/or Cassi. Also recommended was a "Doggie Cart" which we now have and helps to make him much more ambulatory. While we waited for the Cart to be constructed to his measurements, this truly innovative staff devised and made a sling to hold up his rear end when we took him out to do his "duties". Much to our delight, he has responded so well to his new "legs" that he enjoys going out, sniffing, barking @ other dogs, etc. His voracious appetite and active, stubborn mind have been "saved". He is a very happy dog, sometimes able to use his hind legs to actually "gallop" up to the front door, after a pre-breakfast or pre-dinner walk.
How fortunate is he and his family to have such attentive, caring staff. When we pick him up after a session, Eva or Cassi always let us know how he did and what daily exercises we can do at home. Eva and Cassi have worked tirelessly and have been wonderful. We very much appreciate their efforts and we appreciate the friendly and helpful front desk (and other behind the scenes staff). We hope that our Corgi realizes he is one very fortunate canine.""Gloucester's" Mom and Dad
"OMG CAN I GIVE 10 STARS and can they be MY doctors?!? Go here. Just do yourself a favor and go here. The docs and staff are AMAZING! They are so knowledgeable, constantly learning and innovative, friendly, caring, fun, and work amazing together! I have seen them all...my previous vet (well known place) couldn't diagnose runs for 6 months. Finally found these amazing ppl while researching stem cell for my (then) 10YO 100lb Dane mix who had arthritis. Brought Dane in for consult and fell in love. Switched docs immediately even tho I now had at least a 45 min drive. My White Shepherd ended up with cancer and Dr Colvin called and checked in on us through his last 3 months. Got the stem for my Dane and he is now 12.5 and still boping along. Adopted a new white shep who tore his ACL at 1YO. Got Active Release Therapy w/ dr Golsine & Herrity and then stem cell. He's doing GREAT! Dr Johnson is AWESOME and is great at making sure you understand everything. Whenever we have an issue someone always calls to check and I NEVER have to call for test results because they are on top of it. The techs, assistants, receptionists are amazing and I could just hang out all day! I kinda want to keep them my little secret but I love animals too much!"M.F.
" Burke Animal Clinic is really as good as it gets. My cat Rory was brought to them in dire condition that came on overnight from complications with his diabetic condition. Over the course of the day Dr. Colvin performed a miracle and managed to get him alert and responding to the treatment. Unfortunately, as they do not have the facilities to monitor critical cases overnight, he had to be moved to an Emergency clinic for a period of 12 hours - VCA South Paws - and this clinic undid all progress and he later died. He did not die at VCA South Paws - I have such complete faith in Burke that I counted down the minutes until I could pick him up and bring him back to Burke. And he did fairly well at first and in 5 hours progress was made. His little body was too tiered though and he did not make it. In my opinion Burke saved his life, even with the ultimately sad outcome - they cared, they responded immediately, they were honest with the treatment and the charges. The only time I managed to sleep in the 48 hour nightmare I went through is because I could take a cat nap knowing he was in the best hands he could ever be in."Lindsey N.