1. Using a pair of tweezers, grasp the tick by its head, the spot where it is attached to the pet.
2. Avoid grabbing the tick’s body; stay close to the pet’s skin.
3. Pull in a perpendicular direction to the skin. ( ↑ )
4. Check that you have removed the entire tick and place it in a small container with alcohol.
5. Wash the area and your hands with soap and water.
6. Monitor your pet for any signs of illness or infection; a small bump like a mosquito bite is normal to see and usually fades in a couple days.
7. If your pet becomes ill or the area looks infected make an appointment with a veterinarian. Bring the tick with you as different ticks may transmit different diseases and identification may help the Vet with a diagnosis.